- Breed: St. Croix Island dog!
- Gender: Female, spayed
- Age: 6 months old
- Size: 20 pounds now, likely to end up at 35-45?
- Good with…
- Dogs? Yes!
- Cats? Yes!
- Kids? Yes! 6 +
- Chickens/Birds? Sorry, no, she likes to chase them!
Missy—wonderful puppy survivor from St. Croix!!
**Missy is not a CDR dog but please fill out an application and it will be forwarded to her rescuers!***
“Missy” and her litter mates were found dumped in a chicken feed bag in a remote area of national forest on St Croix, Sandy Point. Horrifying. Luckily they were found and saved and are all now doing great!
Missy was fostered in St. Croix by some wonderful folks who did a terrific job with her. They gave her tons of love, got her the medical care she needed (including treatment for a nasty abscess on her leg which is all better now!), and even started teaching her some basic behaviors. She has a solid “Sit,” a decent “Come” (haha, as long as there aren’t distractions of course!), and she enjoys fetching AND returning a ball! What a smart little girl!
Then, another chapter! A wonderful Ithaca area dog rescuer with St. Croix ties was able to bring Missy back to Ithaca and foster her here until she could find Missy a perfect forever home. So little Missy made the long trip from St. Croix to Ithaca, which involved 2 flights, a VERY long car ride, and in total lasted more than 30 hours! Holy moly, that would overwhelm most humans, but Missy handled it amazingly well. She had no motion sickness, had no potty accidents, and remained amazingly calm for the whole trip. Wowza!
She is now settled into her Ithaca area foster home, and will start a formal Puppy Class this week! She is spayed, microchiped, and up to date on all vaccines. She is house-trained & crate trained too!
Personality with People and Other Animals
Missy just arrived to Ithaca, and has been through so much change and challenge in her very short life so far, so certainly her personality is still evolving, but here is what she is like so far.
- She is very affectionate! Missy loves to cuddle and she uses her long front legs (“arms”) to give great hugs!
- She is very curious and inquisitive! Missy observes and notices all details of, and changes in, her environment, with calm, curiosity and interest.
- She is NOT skittish or nervous!
- She is very smart and is a quick learner. As noted above, she has learned to sit, to come (usually) and now knows to sit and wait to hear “OK!” before eating. For a pup who had such a chaotic and rough start, she is already showing amazingly high levels of learning ability.
- She loves other dogs! She loves to play chase and enjoys a little bit of light rough-and-tumble, but if the other dog gets too rambunctious, she prefers to disengage, goes to a quieter place and just watches. She would probably be happiest in a home with at least one other friendly, playful dog.
If you are interested in Missy, please fill out an online adoption application and we will forward it to Missy’s rescuer and foster mom, who will make all decisions about her adoption. Her adoption fee is $250.