- Breed: Beagle mix
- Gender: Male, Neutered
- Age: 7 years old
- Size: 40 pounds
- Good with…
- Dogs? Yes!
- Cats? Yes!
- Kids? Yes!
Hi, my name is Toby and I am incredibly affectionate, loving and sweet-tempered!
I landed in a high-kill shelter in Kentucky. The shelter didn’t note whether I was found stray or had been surrendered, but the rescue folks are guessing that I had been lucky to have had a nice owner, but that maybe I got lost or maybe he/she died or had to go into a nursing home and there was no one to care for me. I clearly have been treated very well by humans because I LOVE humans, and I show no fears or concerns about people, dogs, or cats. I just smile and wag-wag-wag at everyone!
I am silly and sweet and incredibly friendly and very affectionate! I wake up every morning excited to greet the day with you, and spend most of the day wag-wag-wagging and smiling about how wonderful each moment is! There are loads of things that I love, but here are some of my favorites:
People! I greet everyone by rolling over on my back and asking for belly rubs! Haha, so fun, I love belly rubs!! I also love being talked to, being cuddled, being allowed to follow my person around the house, and resting peacefully next to you when you are reading or watching TV or starting at a computer screen.
Dashing around in the fenced yard (and chasing squirrels and chipmunks!) at my foster home! So much fun I can barely stand it. Squirrels to chase, bushes to smell, grass to pee on, birds and wind to listen to, and lovely air to feel!
Burying my rawhide bones in the yard! This gives me so much pleasure…I bury and then dig up and then rebury and then redig up! One time my foster mom brought it inside, washed it off, and gave it back to me, and though I did chew on it briefly inside the house, then I tried to hide it in various corners of the house, so she let me take it back outside where I gleefully buried it in the dirt where it belongs!
Going for leashed walks! I am an energetic little guy, and I love to go for leashed walks as well as dash around in the fenced yard off-leash. I went to the dog park a few times and thought that was super cool too! I don’t break out into play with other dogs, but am totally comfortable in their presence.
Siting on a chair and looking out a window that overlooks the yard! I love to keep an eye on everything that is out there, I can pass many an hour in my chair, watching the great outdoors!
Other things to know about me:
- I am totally house trained, but I might mark the first time or two I am in a new house where there are (or have been) other dogs.
- I am smart! I was clearly not taught anything in my former home, but I learn loads just by watching my foster mom and following her lead.
- I am good in the car! I walk well on leash! I was fine getting a bath!
- I don’t chew on anything that I shouldn’t! I am left free in the house when my foster mom goes out to do errands, and I never disturb a thing.
- I really like the company of my person or people and hope for a home where a) people are not gone all day, 5 days a week and b) there is a fenced yard.
- I love all people. I would be fine in a home with kids over 6 for sure, maybe even younger depending on how careful parents monitored their interactions with me and how gentle and calm the children were.
- I am totally comfortable with other dogs. I am unlikely to want to play with your dog, but would be a lovely companion. I would be fine as an only dog or sharing my home with another dog.
- I am totally fine with cats. I pretend they are invisible, even when they are sniffing my face.
Our local vet says I am in great shape! We did a full exam, blood work panels, pee and poop analysis, and she says that everything looks groovy good! Of course I am up to date on vaccines, am on monthly heartworm preventive, and wear a Seresto flea and tick collar!
I’m an all-around awesome pup! I am looking for someone who is active and likes to go for several daily walks, who has a fenced yard, and who isn’t gone for long hours every day at work. I love me my people time, and I get sad if I’m left alone for long periods. I would be happy to be your only dog, and would be happy to be a new addition to your current doggy and/or kitty pack.
If you are interested in adopting me, please fill out an online adoption application and live close to Ithaca , Syracuse, Binghamton, Rochester, or Elmira. We do home visits on every applicant, and can’t do home visits where we don’t have local volunteers.